Thursday 5 February 2015

That's Italian

This is a quilt that I made to honour my husband's parents. I was about 15 years old when I met Mike. He was the seventh and last child in a big boisterous Italian family. He had four older sisters, an older brother and the ghost of a brother who died as an infant.  He invited me to his house for Sunday supper after a few dates. I really didn't know what to expect.
I think all of his sisters were there. His brother still lived there. Many grandchildren were  running uncontrolled through the house and an old widowed aunt wearing black told me with gestures that she was watching me.. (as it happens I have never seen the aunt in any colour other than black)
They served spaghetti and meatballs. Now I had eaten spaghetti before when my construction worker father had been laid off and there was a small budget for groceries. My mother would have never served it as Sunday meetthenewgirlfrienddinner that's for sure. Roast beef and mashed potatoes or maybe a chicken in a pot but not pasta.
Well I married him anyway and now feed the family Spaghetti and meatballs just like Grandma  used to do on Sunday.  My in-laws are gone now and we have lost a couple of the sisters, too. But I am so glad that I had them in my life.

P.S. Check out the tomatoes. Pincushions!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment