Tuesday 10 February 2015

I never made a Quilt for my Mother


I have been a fan of Kathleen Loomis for a long time. She teaches and creates award winning quilts using a very labour intensive method that she has named fine line piecing. She inserts a very thin strip a fabric into every seam. I made this quilt using her technique. I had the turquoise print fabric in my stash for a long time and decided that it was time to use it. I pieced and cut and pieced and cut and pieced and cut until I was so tired of it that I decided it was time to quit.
I call this quilt "I Never Made a Quilt for my Mother". It shows the long slow decline into Alzheimer's disease that my mother endured. the top section represents the beautiful vibrant woman who raised five children, was a loving wife and partner and was very creative.
The descent into forgetfulness and dementia was slow but steady. In the final stages she was lost to us.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story to go with your quilt piece. Horrible disease to watch a love one go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo, We lost her twice-once to dementia and then in death. I don't know which loss was harder to accept.

      Delete